Offering a Seamless Auto Claims Experience
Being in an auto accident can be stressful. Filing an auto insurance claim shouldn’t be.
We’ve been helping our members with claims since 1926. With all that practice, we can get you back on the road quickly and fairly.
After the accident
If anyone is injured, call 9-1-1 immediately. Otherwise, contact the police department to file an accident report.
If you've signed up for Roadside Assistance call 1-800-421-3535 for a tow.
What else to do – and not do – after an accident:
- Try to stay calm and focused
- Call our On Your Side® Claims Service at 1-800-421-3535 or start your claim online
- Gather contact and insurance information from those involved
- Collect witness names and numbers
- From a safe spot, photograph any damage
- Don’t offer an opinion regarding who was at fault for the accident
- Discuss accident details only with the police or your insurance agent
- Don’t leave the scene until instructed by police
Although all insurance claims may be different, our claims process is designed to handle each promptly, professionally and with minimal inconvenience to you.
You may start your claim online or by calling Claims Service at 1-800-421-3535.
You’ll be assigned a claims representative to guide you through the claims process and answer any question you may have about your claim.
The representative will:
- Gather facts about the accident
- Explain coverages in your policy and your deductible
- Help schedule an inspection of your vehicle
- Arrange for a rental car if needed
- Review your auto insurance policy and explain the coverages that apply
Choose the type of facility that best fits your needs for an estimate or repair. You may choose from:
- A Nationwide On Your Side® Auto Repair Network facility. Find one now
- A Nationwide Drive-In location
- A shop you choose outside of Nationwide’s repair network
- A scheduled field visit
If you choose one of our On Your Side shops, you'll receive fast, seamless service. We work directly with these pre-screened, pre-qualified shops to streamline estimates, repairs, and payments.
If you already have a repair estimate, you can mail, email or fax it to your Nationwide claims representative. If the claim qualifies, we also can work directly with your repair facility, even if it’s not in our Auto Repair Network.
If your vehicle is totaled
If your vehicle is a total loss, your claims representative will work closely with you throughout the process. We work with a third party to determine the actual cash value of your vehicle, and you will receive a vehicle valuation report.
Helping you find another car
In the event that your vehicle is totaled, we can help you find another car and get you back on the road as soon as possible.
The Nationwide Auto Shopping Service, by TrueCar®, provides car-shopping research tools, savings opportunities on new cars and exclusive discounts on used cars from a network of 9,000 certified dealers.
The service also offers additional benefits such as repair expense and deductible reimbursement features.
Once your car is repaired or determined to be a total loss, you’ll receive payment and your claim will be settled, minus any applicable deductible.
You may choose to have the payment direct-deposited into a bank account, a check mailed to you or, in some instances, you may receive a debit bank card.