Keeping customers safe from accidents is critical for building and upholding a restaurant's reputation. Nationwide Insurance combines simple safety tips with online training courses for a complete safety and loss prevention package. Our goal is to help small business owners keep customers happy, increase profits and – in some cases – reduce risk and insurance premiums.
Restaurant safety tips
To maintain a safe workplace for staff and visitors at minimal or no cost:
- Maintain your building's interior and exterior. Keep parking lots and sidewalks in good condition. Provide dusk-to-dawn lighting for the exterior of the building and parking lot. Protect utilities, such as gas meters and transformers, with physical barriers.
- Keep walkways free and clear. Make sure areas where customers walk are in good physical condition and are clear of equipment. Keep exterior walking surfaces clear of ice, snow and debris.
- Inspect your equipment. In addition to regularly inspecting fire, burglary, sprinkler and alarms systems, it is also a good idea to have your shop's wiring, heating, air conditioning equipment and refrigeration units checked regularly.
- Train your employees. Make sure employees have been trained in storage and dispensing practices for aerosols, combustibles, flammable liquids and cleaning supplies, and can properly use fire extinguishers. Consider providing first aid training.
- Develop a business interruption plan. Include inventory, building, equipment and record replacement in your plan in the event of a total loss of the facility.