Confinement Building Insurance

Understanding Farm Confinement Building Insurance

An important part of your farm or ranch policy is the protection that it provides for damage to farm or ranch confinement buildings. These buildings must be listed on your policy to be covered.

Coverage for confinement buildings includes:

  • Water pumps, motors and other outdoor equipment used for the operation of the building
  • Furniture, fixtures, machinery and equipment pertaining to the use of the building located in, on or within 100 feet of the building

Be sure to talk to your agent about:

  • Insuring your confinement buildings for replacement cost or actual cash value.
  • The causes of loss (broad, basic or special) for which you want to insure.
  • How much deductible to carry. A higher deductible may lower your premium, but you would have to pay more in the event of a loss.
  • The current values of your confinement buildings.

Under certain conditions, AgriChoice® provides coverage for collapsed confinement buildings.

Extended coverage for new confinement buildings

If you add a new barn, shelter or other confinement building, AgriChoice extends your coverage of up to $100,000 for 60 days (beginning when the building materials are delivered) or until your next renewal date. When your policy is about to renew, discuss the values of any new structures with your agent to be sure you’re properly insured.

Don’t forget the fixtures

AgriChoice provides coverage for equipment breakdown and the mechanical failure of fixtures or systems built into structures. Be sure that your agent is aware of the value of all fixtures, systems and equipment associated with your confinement buildings.