Insuring Pens and Sheds

Understanding Pen and Shed Insurance

Pens, sheds, corrals, chutes and feed racks can be protected as part of your farm property insurance policy.

Shed coverage includes protection for:

  • Equipment that is used in the service of the building, such as water pumps, motors and outdoor equipment
  • Furniture, fixtures, machinery and equipment used for the operation of the building located in, on or within 100 feet of the structure

Be sure to talk to your agent about:

  • Insuring your sheds or other structures for replacement cost or actual cash value.
  • The causes of loss (basic, broad or special) you want to insure for.
  • How much deductible to carry. A higher deductible may lower your premium, but you would have to pay more in the event of a loss.

Under certain conditions, AgriChoice® may provide coverage for collapsed structures. Your policy explains the conditions and causes of loss for which a collapse would be covered.

If you construct a new shed, talk to your agent to be sure you have the new building properly insured. AgriChoice provides $100,000 in coverage for new construction for a period of 60 days beginning at the delivery of building materials.