Open an interest-bearing, high-yield checking account with Nationwide Bank®. High-interest checking accounts offer you convenient access to your funds while putting your money to work for you.
Get a Checking Account That Pays You Interest
With Nationwide Bank, you’ll enjoy all these features:
- Higher interest rates on your checking account
- Free first order of exclusive checks; half-price on designer checks
- Free Nationwide online banking and bill payment
- Free online statements detailing monthly activity
- No monthly service fee with $3,000 average daily balance in checking or $5,000 combined average daily balance in checking, savings and money market accounts; otherwise $10.
- Access to more than 76,000 surcharge-free ATMs
- Free Visa® debit card
- First 6 non-Nationwide Bank ATM transactions per statement cycle free, but surcharges from ATM owner may apply. Non-Nationwide Bank ATM transactions are free for Nationwide Associate and Agency Banking Program members, but surcharges from ATM owner may apply.
- Free money transfers between your Nationwide Bank accounts and your accounts with other banks.
- Overdraft protection available with a linked savings account; there is a $5 per day transaction fee for overdraft protection.
- Each depositor FDIC insured to at least $250,000
We reserve the right to require 7 days’ notice for a withdrawal.
You must be 18 years or older to open a high-yield checking account.
Nationwide Bank has a quick and secure online application to make it easy to open an interest checking account online. Before beginning your application, gather this basic information about yourself.
|Personal information||Contact information||Financial information|
If you are opening an interest checking account with another person, you will need to have that person’s ID and residence information, too.
You can use our online application to open an individual or joint account with Right of Survivorship and with up to three co-signers. You'll need to fund your account with an initial deposit that you can electronically transfer from another personal bank account or send by check.
Trust accounts are also available and can be opened by calling 1-877-I-Bank-NW (1-877-422-6569) Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET.
Do any of your accounts include unlimited check writing?
Yes, all of our checking accounts include unlimited check writing.
Can I get overdraft protection for my direct checking account?
Yes, you can use one or more linked savings accounts to cover overdrafts on your high-yield checking account.
Do any of your accounts include a free debit card?
Yes, all of our checking accounts include a Visa debit card with no monthly service fee.
Do any of your accounts have funds transfer?
Yes, all of our checking, savings and money market accounts include money transfer services. You can use this free service to transfer funds between your Nationwide Bank accounts and your accounts with other banks.
Can I pay bills online with this direct checking account?
Yes, just sign up for online bill pay once your interest checking account is open.
Where can I find an ATM in the Nationwide Bank network?
Your Nationwide Bank ATM/debit card gives you access to more than 76,000 surcharge-free ATMs within the Allpoint, PNC Bank, Alliance One and MoneyPass ATM networks. Find an ATM near you.
Can I use my debit card while traveling abroad?
Please notify Nationwide Bank before you travel abroad to temporarily authorize your card where allowed by law. (Certain restrictions may apply.) To combat an increase in international counterfeit credit cards, Nationwide Bank has blocked use of our checking Visa debit card and ATM cards in Cuba, Iran, Myanmar and Sudan.
My debit card is getting ready to expire. Is it still valid? When will I receive a new one?
Your card is valid through the end of the expiration month listed on the card. For example, a card that expires June 2013 is valid through June 30, 2013. Your new card will be sent to you within the last two weeks of the expiration month.