Nationwide Insurance, Allied Insurance responding in Virginia, assisting policyholders affected by tornadoes, large hail and high winds
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 29, 2011
Elizabeth Giannetti 614-249-7705
Media Relations Hotline
Richmond, VA — Nationwide Insurance and Allied Insurance claims representatives are now assisting customers in Virginia in response to tornadoes, large hail and high winds that affected the state this week. Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or the Allied claims hotline at 1-800-282-1446.
Nationwide and Allied have received approximately 200 homeowner claims in Virginia since April 27, in varying degrees of severity. Glad Springs and Abingdon were the most impacted areas in the state.
Nationwide and Allied have deployed additional field associates to the impacted area who will be working throughout the weekend and into next week to ensure all of the damaged properties are inspected and evaluated.
After damage has occurred, the first 24 to 48 hours are crucial in preventing additional damage. Individuals affected by the storms can take steps to protect property from further damage:
• Make sure the electricity source adjacent to the damaged area is
• If water is flowing to the home, shut off the water supply.
• Only use appliances designed to remove standing water, such as a wet vac.
• Prevent the growth of bacteria and mildew. Immediately inventory and place all moist content materials in a dry location.
• Separate content items, such as upholstery, fabrics or other colored items to prevent colored bleeding. Blot or wipe furniture to remove excess moisture.
• If content items are too heavy to remove, place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and carpeting. Open furniture doors and drawers to expedite drying.
• Use fans to circulate air and assist with drying after removing standing water and establishing it is safe to reconnect electricity. In the summer months, use an air conditioner and dehumidifier if available. Keep the thermostat set at or below 70 degrees – increasing the thermostat could promote the growth of bacteria and mildew.
• Retain damaged items to allow for proper evaluation.
Allied Insurance is a property and casualty insurer established in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1929. Allied operates in 33 states through a network of independent agents with regional offices in Denver, CO; Des Moines, IA; Lincoln, NE; Gainesville, FL and Sacramento, CA. Allied has been a member of the Nationwide family of companies since 1998, and is responsible for Nationwide’s independent agency system. Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is a Fortune 500 company and one of the country’s largest multi-line insurers and financial services organizations. Information is available at www.alliedinsurance.com.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by A.M. Best. The company provides a full range of personalized insurance and financial services, including auto insurance, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, life insurance, farm, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and health and productivity services. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, the Nationwide framemark, and On Your Side are registered marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.