Nationwide Insurance offers key insurance information for policyholders affected by tornadoes
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 3, 2011
Elizabeth Giannetti 614-249-7705
Birmingham, AL — Nationwide Insurance claims representatives continue to assist customers in Alabama in response to tornadoes that affected the state last week. Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535.
Nationwide has received more than 1,500 claims in Alabama since April 27, in varying degrees of severity.
As policyholders are able to access their homes and neighborhoods after
the storms, homeowners can do several things to protect their
• Make temporary repairs safely to prevent further interior damage or loss. Holes in roofs and broken windows should be covered with plastic or plywood and the property should be secured to prevent theft or vandalism
• Create an itemized list of the home’s damaged or destroyed contents. Retain damaged items to allow for proper evaluation.
Policyholders should also know:
• Homeowners insurance generally provides protection against the most common perils, including fire, theft, wind and liability.
• For auto insurance, a comprehensive policy generally provides for losses due to a catastrophic storm, including rain, hail and wind.
• Personal possessions within a car are not covered by an auto policy. A homeowners or renters policy typically provides coverage for personal property.
• Although our policyholders are free to choose any contractor or body shop they wish, Nationwide claims representatives and agents are great sources of information when a policyholder is selecting a contractor to make repairs to a home or an auto body shop to have their vehicle repaired.
The Nationwide Catastrophe Team, a group of experienced professionals who understand the complex claims that happen in a catastrophe, are on the ground, getting to customers as quickly as possible. This team will work 12-hour-days, seven days-a-week until all policyholders’ needs have been addressed.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by A.M. Best. The company provides a full range of personalized insurance and financial services, including auto insurance, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, life insurance, farm, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and health and productivity services. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, the Nationwide framemark, and On Your Side are registered marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.