Nationwide Insurance, Allied Insurance prepare for Tropical Storm Isaac
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 28, 2012
Elizabeth Stelzer 614-315-8769
Liz Giannetti 614-249-7705
Columbus, OH - Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. claims representatives and agents are prepared to assist customers should Tropical Storm Isaac become a weather-related disaster. As weather alerts and reports from around the country track the storm patterns, Nationwide Insurance and Allied Insurance have people and resources in place to respond quickly to its customers’ needs.
Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide and Allied claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent.
“Claims reported by our customers will be assessed quickly to assure fast and quality service,” said Ken Enscoe, Nationwide’s director of catastrophe claims operations. “It’s important for us to prepare early and be ready to act quickly for our customers.”
Storm centers are planned for areas hardest hit to receive and handle claims from customers. Claims representatives will be sent out from these locations to assess property damage.
Nationwide Insurance and Allied Insurance urges policyholders to review their insurance policies as part of preparation. Policyholders also can take the following steps now to help prepare:
• Read and understand your insurance policy.
o Be sure you have adequate homeowner and auto coverage and that the deductibles you have selected are reasonable for your needs.
• Before an event, examine your property to ensure there are no physical and/or liability hazards present.
• Protect the four critical areas where wind can enter: roof, windows, doors and garage doors. Either you or a building contractor can build and install temporary protection, such as approved wind shutters or plywood on windows and coverings for patio and entry doors, strengthen and stiffen garage doors, and install heavy-duty door hardware.
• Turn off power and water.
• Move anything in your yard that can become flying debris inside your house or garage.
• Protect mementos in waterproof containers and/or take the items with you if you evacuate.
• When working outside replace gravel/rock landscaping material with shredded bark and trim trees in precarious positions.
• Inventory valuables and contents in the home with pictures or video. Note the approximate value of each item and the date of purchase. You can also send an inventory to a family member outside your region for safekeeping.
• Make sure important documents, such as an insurance policy or mortgage papers, are stored in a safe deposit or fire safe box.
• If you have expensive or specialty items (i.e. jewelry, furs, silverware, cameras, collectibles, etc.) speak with your agent about broader coverage, since these items have limited coverage under the terms of your homeowners policy. Additional premium will be required for this increase in coverage.
• Flood water that enters into a home may be covered by the specialized flood coverage underwritten by FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program and is available for purchase through most Nationwide Insurance agents. Check with your agent about flood insurance policies.
Allied Insurance is a property and casualty insurer established in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1929. Allied operates in 33 states through a network of independent agents with regional offices in Denver, CO; Des Moines, IA; Lincoln, NE; Gainesville, FL; and Sacramento, CA. Allied has been a member of the Nationwide family of companies since 1998, and is responsible for Nationwide’s independent agency system. Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the country’s largest multi-line insurers and financial services organizations. Information is available at www.alliedinsurance.com.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. The company provides customers a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto insurance, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, pet, life insurance, farm, commercial insurance, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and specialty health services. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, the Nationwide frame mark, and On Your Side are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.