Allied Insurance initiates fire response in Santa Barbara County
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 14, 2008
Sacramento, California — Allied Insurance claim representatives and agents are prepared to assist customers affected by the Tea Fire in Santa Barbara County. Procedures are in place providing quick response to customers needs. Policyholders with storm damage should call the Allied Insurance claims hotline at 1-800-282-1446.
Allied Insurance is reminding customers that walking around fire damaged
property is very dangerous and to use extreme caution. Some key safety
tips to keep in mind when re-entering any burned area:
• Report any electrical damage to authorities immediately, and use caution around burned trees and power poles since they may have lost their stability.
• If a power line falls next to you, hop to safety. Hopping reduces the risk of electrical shock.
• Walking around fire-damaged properties is very dangerous. With any fire of this magnitude, holes full of hot ash created by burned trees and stumps are a threat, so watch your step. If you run across an ash pit, mark it for safety.
• When cleaning up a property, you may be exposed to hazardous materials. It is important to wear a mask, gloves and coveralls to minimize exposure. Also, wet down any debris to reduce breathing dust particles.
• If you encounter dead animals on your property, contact your county agriculture commissioner for assistance with disposal.
In the event of a policyholder needing to file an insurance claim, representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist them. To help expedite the process, it is helpful to have a policy number or home address available when the call is placed. Also, make note of any injuries received and any witnesses or police authority contacted in relation to property damage.
Allied Insurance is a property and casualty insurer established in Des
Moines, Iowa, in 1929. Allied operates in 34 states through a network of
independent agents with regional offices in Denver, CO; Des Moines, IA;
Lincoln, NE; Gainesville, FL; and Sacramento, CA. Allied has been a
member of the Nationwide family of companies since 1998, and is
responsible for the Nationwide’s independent agency system. Nationwide,
based in Columbus, Ohio, is a Fortune 500 company and one of the
country’s largest multi-line insurers and financial services
organizations. Information is available at www.alliedinsurance.com.
Nationwide, the Nationwide frame mark, and On Your Side are federally registered service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.