Nationwide Begins Response for Southern California Fires
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 24, 2007
Elizabeth Stelzer (614) 249-1025
Sacramento, California — Nationwide Insurance claim representatives and agents are assisting customers in response to the recent Southern California fires. Procedures are in place providing quick response to customers needs. Policyholders with damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent.
Nationwide/Allied claims representatives will also be at the Qualcomm Stadium evacuation center beginning Thursday, October 25. The evacuation center is located at 9449 Friars Road, San Diego, Ca.
Nationwide is reminding customers that walking around fire damaged property is very dangerous and to use extreme caution.
Nationwide offers the following safety tips to keep in mind when re-entering any burned area:
- Report any electrical damage to authorities immediately, and use caution around burned trees and power poles since they may have lost their stability.
- If a power line falls next to you, hop to safety. Hopping reduces the risk of electrical shock.
- Walking around fire damaged properties is very dangerous. With any fire of this magnitude, holes full of hot ash created by burned trees and stumps are a threat, so watch your step. If you run across an ash pit, mark it for safety.
- When cleaning up a property, you may be exposed to hazardous materials. It’s important to wear a mask, gloves and coveralls to minimize exposure. Also, wet down any debris to reduce breathing dust particles.
- If you encounter dead animals on your property, contact your county agriculture commissioner for assistance with disposal.
- In the event you need to file an insurance claim as a Nationwide policyholder, call 1-800-421-3535. Nationwide representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist you.
- To help expedite the process, have your Nationwide policy number or home address available.
- Also, make note of any injuries received and any witnesses or police authority contacted in relation to your property damage.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the world, with more than $160 billion in assets. Nationwide ranks 104th on the Fortune 500 list. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, homeowners, life, health, farm, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mutual funds, pensions and long-term savings plans. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide and the Nationwide Framework are federally registered service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. On Your Side is a service mark of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.