Nationwide Continues Response for Northeast Winter Storms
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 15, 2008
Elizabeth Stelzer (614) 249-1025
Columbus, Ohio—Nationwide claim representatives and agents are assisting customers in response to recent severe winter weather reported throughout the Northeastern United States. Procedures are in place providing quick response to customers needs. Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent.
Nationwide Insurance encourages customers to take initiative immediately to avoid damage caused by freezing pipes and ice dams.
Frozen water in pipes can cause pressure buildup leading to pipes bursting. Pipes in attics, crawl spaces and outside walls are particularly vulnerable to freezing, where holes in your house's outside wall for television, cable or telephone lines allow cold air to reach them. To keep water in pipes from freezing, take the following steps:
• Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow the heat transfer. The more insulation the better.
• Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes with caulking.
• Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells to allow warm air to circulate around pipes (particularly in the kitchen and bathroom).
• Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through an unheated or unprotected space. Or drain the water system, especially if your house will be unattended during cold periods.
An ice dam is a wall of ice that forms at the edge of the roof, usually at the gutters or soffit. When interior heat melts the snow on the roof, water can leak into your home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation, and other areas. Take these steps now to avoid trouble later:
• Keep your attic well ventilated. The colder the attic, the less melting and refreezing on the roof.
• Keep the attic floor well insulated to minimize the amount of heat rising through the attic from within the house.
• As an extra precaution against roof leaks in case ice dams do form, install a water-repellent membrane under your roof covering.
In the event of a policyholder needing to file an insurance claim, representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist them. To help expedite the process, it is helpful to have a policy number or home address available when the call is placed. Also, make note of any injuries received and any witnesses or police authority contacted in relation to property damage.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the world, with more than $161 billion in assets. Nationwide ranks 108th on the Fortune 500 list. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, homeowners, life, health, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mutual funds, pensions and long-term savings plans. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, the Nationwide frame mark, and On Your Side are federally registered service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.