Nationwide Insurance initiates fire response in Santa Barbara County
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 14, 2008
Liz Christopher 614-205-3416
Elizabeth Stelzer 614-249-1025
Media Relations Hotline 614-249-6349
Sacramento, California —Nationwide Insurance claim representatives and agents are prepared to assist customers affected by the Tea Fire in Santa Barbara County. Procedures are in place providing quick response to customers needs. Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide Insurance claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535.
Nationwide Insurance is reminding customers that walking around fire
damaged property is very dangerous and to use extreme caution. Some key
safety tips to keep in mind when re-entering any burned area:
• Report any electrical damage to authorities immediately, and use caution around burned trees and power poles since they may have lost their stability.
• If a power line falls next to you, hop to safety. Hopping reduces the risk of electrical shock.
• Walking around fire-damaged properties is very dangerous. With any fire of this magnitude, holes full of hot ash created by burned trees and stumps are a threat, so watch your step. If you run across an ash pit, mark it for safety.
• When cleaning up a property, you may be exposed to hazardous materials. It is important to wear a mask, gloves and coveralls to minimize exposure. Also, wet down any debris to reduce breathing dust particles.
• If you encounter dead animals on your property, contact your county agriculture commissioner for assistance with disposal.
In the event of a policyholder needing to file an insurance claim, representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist them. To help expedite the process, it is helpful to have a policy number or home address available when the call is placed. Also, make note of any injuries received and any witnesses or police authority contacted in relation to property damage.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the world, with more than $161 billion in assets. Nationwide ranks 108th on the Fortune 500 list. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, homeowners, life, health, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mutual funds, pensions and long-term savings plans. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, the Nationwide frame mark, and On Your Side are federally registered service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.