Nationwide continues response to Ohio storms
Homeowners: Protect Yourself from Contractor Fraud
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 16, 2008
Liz Christopher 614-249-7705
Elizabeth Stelzer 614-249-1025
Columbus, OH — Nationwide claim representatives and agents are assisting customers in response to recent severe weather across Ohio. Currently, Nationwide has received more than 10,000 Ohio claims.
Nationwide is also reminding policyholders to beware when picking a contractor to repair damage from recent severe weather.
“Unfortunately, contractor fraud exists especially after a weather catastrophe” said David Arango, Nationwide regional vice president for Ohio. “However, there are steps homeowners can take to protect themselves.”
Nationwide offers the following tips for homeowners to help protect from contractor/repair fraud:
- Request an itemized written estimate for any proposed work from contractors.
- Be wary of estimates that seem wholly unreasonable.
- Beware of profiteers. Contact your local Better Business Bureau if you have any concerns with a contractor you may decide to use for repairs.
- Avoid paying any upfront fees. Policyholders can call and ask us about an estimate.
- Make sure that the contractor is bonded and licensed, and to ask for a photo ID.
- Ask for local references to verify the quality of their work.
- Be wary of cash deposits. One common scam is to show up with a chain saw, promise to return in a few hours and never come back to perform the work.
- It is always a good idea to take pictures of any damage before repairs begin.
- If you have any questions, call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or your local agent immediately.
Nationwide representatives and agents are assisting customers in response to recent severe weather reported throughout Ohio. Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the world, with more than $161 billion in assets. Nationwide ranks108th on the Fortune 500 list. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, homeowners, life, health, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mutual funds, pensions and long-term savings plans. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide and the Nationwide Framework are federally registered service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. On Your Side is a service mark of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.