- Traditional Pension Plans
- Talk With Your Employer
- Ask About Plan Features
- Self Employed
- Company Doesn't Offer a Plan
- Company Doesn't Offer a Match
- Employer Matching
- Catch-up Contributions
- Automatic Enrollment and Increases
- Your Plan in a Volatile Market
- Feed Your Retirement Plan
- Understand the Market
- Review Your Retirement Plan
Traditional Pension Plans
If you still have a traditional pension plan from your employer, count yourself lucky. But don’t become complacent – that could change at any time.
Many companies have discontinued these defined benefit plans in recent years. They’ve replaced them with defined contribution plans -- 401(k)s or similar plans that put more responsibility on employees to save for their retirement.
Taking the next step
So what do you do to get ready, whether you have a pension currently or not? Talk with your investment professional to find out. Don't have one?