Offering a seamless business auto claims experience
Being in an accident can be stressful. Filing an business auto insurance claim shouldn’t be.
We’ve been helping our customers with claims since 1926. With all that practice, we can get you back on the road quickly and fairly.
After the accident
If anyone is injured, call 9-1-1 immediately. Otherwise, contact the police department to file an accident report.
What else to do – and not do – after an accident:
- Try to stay calm and focused
- Call our On Your Side® Claims Service at 1-800-421-3535 or log in to start your claim online
- Gather contact and insurance information from those involved
- Collect witness names and numbers
- From a safe spot, photograph any damage
- Don’t offer an opinion regarding who was at fault for the accident
- Discuss accident details only with the police or your insurance agent
- Don’t leave the scene until instructed by police
- If your vehicle was hauling product, also file a property claim by calling 1-800-421-3535 or by logging in to start a claim online
- If one of your employees is involved, be sure to gather their information, as well
Starting a claim
Although all insurance claims may be different, our claims process is designed to handle each promptly, professionally and with minimal inconvenience to you.
You may log in to start your claim online or by calling Claims Service at 1-800-421-3535.
You’ll be assigned a claims representative to guide you through the claims process and answer any question you may have about your claim.
The representative will:
- Gather facts about the accident
- Explain coverages in your policy and your deductible
- Help schedule an inspection of your vehicle
- Arrange for a rental car if coverage applies
- Review your business auto insurance policy and explain the coverage that applies
Arranging for repairs
Choose the type of facility that best fits your needs for an estimate or repair. You may choose from:
- A Nationwide On Your Side® Auto Repair Network facility, if your vehicle is eligible for service at one of our repair network shops. Find one now
- A Nationwide Drive-In location
- A shop you choose outside of Nationwide’s repair network
- A scheduled field visit
If you choose one of our On Your Side shops, you'll receive fast, seamless service. We work directly with these pre-screened, pre-qualified shops to streamline estimates, repairs, and payments.
If you already have a repair estimate, you can mail, email or fax it to your Nationwide claims representative. If the claim qualifies, we also can work directly with your repair facility, even if it’s not in our Auto Repair Network.
If your vehicle is totaled
If your vehicle is a total loss, your claims representative will work closely with you throughout the process. We work with a third party to determine the actual cash value of your vehicle, and you will receive a vehicle valuation report.
Settling your claim
Once your vehicle is repaired or determined to be a total loss, you’ll receive payment and your claim will be settled, minus any applicable deductible.
You may choose to have the payment direct-deposited into a bank account, a check mailed to you or, in some instances, you may receive a debit bank card.
If you still have questions about filing a Nationwide claim, please visit our business auto claims FAQ page.
If your vehicle qualifies, Nationwide recommends repair shops that guarantee their work.
Typical auto insurance claims and other resources
Discovering your vehicle vandalized can be a shocking experience. Learn more about auto vandalism claims.
Striking an animal can be an emotional and costly experience. Learn more about claims involving deer and other animals.
Hail may last a few minutes, but damage can be extensive. Learn more about hail damage business auto claims.
A stolen vehicle can be a scary and frustrating experience. Learn more about business auto theft claims.