Questions to ask vendors
Following is a list of questions to ask vendors regarding the accessibility maturity of their processes and products. How the vendor answers questions about product design, testing, training, and support will help you determine whether the product will meet the needs of your customers.
You should also review and test a product for accessibility before purchasing. Nationwide Digital Accessibility Team can help you.
- When do you think about accessibility of your product? At the design stage, during the implementation process, or later on after it has been developed?
- Do you have accessibility experts in your design/development team, or do you hire an outside accessibility consultant?
- If the latter, what accessibility consulting company do you work with?
- Do you use real end-users with disabilities to help design your product? How so?
- How do you test for accessibility? Do you have accessibility testers in-house, for example, at the quality assurance department, or do you hire an outside accessibility consultant?
- If the latter, what consulting company?
- Do you use real end-users with disabilities to test your product?
- How many and from what disability groups?
- When do you perform accessibility testing? During the development phase or before the product is about to be released?
- What is the accessibility criteria/matrix for testing your product? May we have a copy of the document?
- Will you share the last accessibility report on your product with us?
Vendor internal education and training questions
- Where do your designers and developers get accessibility training?
- Which accessibility-related conferences do you attend?
- Have you ever had an employee or an outside person with disabilities show how your product might be used with assistive software/hardware?
- Do you have accessibility documentation about your product?
- Are the supported accessibility features in your product listed and explained?
- Are the documents publicly accessible? May I have the URL to them?
- What format are they in?