Paying bills is hardly anyone’s favorite activity, but with our online bill pay you can get it done quickly and easily and get on with your day. Setting up your bills takes only a few minutes, and it’s well worth it considering how much time you’ll save every month. You can set up bill pay for pretty much anything – utilities, phone, insurance, credit cards, medical and dental, and much more. And if the company doesn’t accept electronic payment, we’ll mail a check for you instead.
Below we’ll show you how to manage your bills through both online banking and our mobile app. Before you get started, make sure you’re enrolled in online banking – that’s the first step to accessing any and all of your accounts online and enjoying all our features.
Bill pay with mobile app
You can set up your bills with the help of your phone’s camera – meaning you don’t have to worry about tapping the details of your bill onto a small screen. Here’s how to set up bill pay using our app.
- Click “Payments” along the menu at the bottom, select “Make a Payment” and choose your bill payee (the company name).
- Take a picture of a billing statement for that account to populate the account details. If you prefer, you could fill out the information yourself instead.
- Select the checking account you’re using to pay and enter the amount and date of the payment.
- Click “Pay” followed by “Confirm” to send the payment.
Bill pay with online banking
After logging in to online banking, you’ll see a menu at the top that includes “Pay Bills.” Click here and follow these steps:
- Add the bill payee to your profile. You can enter the name of the company at the top or search by category.
- Enter the information from your bill. Here you’ll add the account number, address and phone number, as well as assign the bill a nickname for future reference if you’d like.
- Type in the amount of the bill, select a date using the calendar icon and then click “Make Payment.”
Now that you have set up the basic bill pay through online banking, below are the additional ways you can personalize your online bill pay so that you can bank the way you want:
Setting up AutoPay
If you have bills that are the same amount every time, you may want to set up AutoPay. That way, you’ll have the bills paid automatically on a regular schedule instead of needing to set up individual payments, and you choose the frequency as needed: weekly, every two weeks, every four weeks, twice a month, monthly, every two months, every three months, every six months or annually.
Follow these steps to set up AutoPay with your checking or money market account:
- Click “Pay Bills” at the top of the online banking menu. On the following screen, make sure “Payment Center” is highlighted in green.
- Find the payee that you’d like to set up automatic payments with and click “AutoPay” next to it.
- Enter the amount, first delivery date and other information, and then click “Start Sending Payments.”
You live a busy life that doesn’t revolve around paying bills – and yet it’s so essential to stay on top of them. Reminders are a great way to alert you to upcoming payments, and thankfully they’re simple to set up with your email address.
- Navigate to the Payment Center by clicking “Pay Bills” in the top menu and making sure “Payment Center” is highlighted at the top.
- Click “Reminders” next to the appropriate account.
- Enter the typical due date, amount due and frequency and the day you’d like to be reminded in advance – 3, 5, 10, 14, 21 or 28 days. The reminder will be sent to the email address connected with your checking account.
- Select any of the following email reminders you’d also like to receive: when the payment is due, when it’s been sent and when it’s not paid by the due date.
Signing up for eBills
Do you want to have your bills sent safely and securely to you through online banking? eBills are electronic bills that can be delivered directly to your Nationwide online banking account for payment instead of being mailed to your home. Signing up takes just a few clicks.
If the company offers eBills, you’ll see an “eBills” flag that you’ll be able to click on next to the company name in the Payment Center. From there click “Get My Bill Here.” You’ll read the disclosure that pops up, click the checkbox to sign off and then click “Submit.”
Managing all your bills online
You can quickly view all your bills and details online in a few different ways:
- Upcoming Bills. From your main Accounts page, you can view all the upcoming bills that you have set to be paid for the next 7, 14 or 30 days.
- Quick view. In the Pay Bills section of your online banking, you’ll see the summary of reminders, pending payments and recent payments.
- Comprehensive view. You can also click the “Activity” button at the top of the Pay Bills section (button right next to “Payment Center”) to see the activity during the different date ranges and filter by the name of recipient (payee), by account or by status.