EPA Requirements
Call 1-800-255-9913 Find a Farm Certified Agent

EPA Requires Farmers to Have An Oil Spill Prevention Program

The Environmental Protection Agency requires farmer and ranchers to have an emergency fuel-spill plan in place to reduce the risk of harm to the public and to natural resources. The Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) rule applies to agribusinesses that use diesel fuel, gasoline, lube oil and hydraulic oil. Farmers who store more than 1,320 gallons of these products in above-ground containers or more than 42,000 gallons in below-ground containers must develop an emergency action plan.

How to create an SPCC plan

If your fuel storage capacity is between 1,320 and 10,000 gallons (with no single tank greater than 5,000-gallons) and your farm has a no spill history, you may prepare and self-certify your SPCC plan. For guidance, download a plan template from the EPA website. 

If you store more than 10,000 gallons or have fuel spill history, you may need to have your plan certified by a professional engineer. Find out more by calling 1-800-424-9346 or by visiting the EPA website.

Share Article