Our approach to home safety extends beyond an insurance policy. Proper coverage is an important first step — especially when it comes to theft. To reduce your risk, consider incorporating the following prevention tips into your everyday life.
Home safety tips
- Install a monitored alarm system that provides both perimeter and interior protection, and activate it whenever possible. As a client, you may be eligible for premium discounts for installing this type of device
- Install deadbolt locks on exterior doors. Keep windows closed and locked while away from home. Install security bars inside the track of sliding glass doors or windows to prevent unauthorized entrance
- Ensure the exterior of your home is well lit at night, preferably with motion sensors. Position lights to eliminate shadows or blind spots
- If you have electronic keypads to access garage doors or other points of entry, choose your passcode wisely
- Never hide spare keys outside of your home. Consider asking a trusted neighbor to keep one for you
- Secure valuables and important documents in a safety deposit box or in-home safe. Home safes should be
- anchored to the floor or wall and well hidden
- Consider installing a locked mailbox at your home. Do not leave outgoing mail with personal information in an unsecured mailbox for pick up
- Never allow strangers into your home. Always ask for identification from service and delivery people
- If you plan to be away for an extended period of time, make your home appear occupied with interior lights on timers. Ask a neighbor to pickup newspapers and/or mail, and do not leave garbage cans at the curb
We offer this information to assist our Nationwide Private Client policyholders in making decisions that can help mitigate your risk. While we cannot address every possible risk or guarantee these tips will work for you, our goal is to support your efforts to protect your family and yourself. As always, the Nationwide Private Client Risk Solutions team is ready to work relentlessly for you. For more information about Travel Security please contact your nearest agent or the Customer Solutions Center.