Hail can cause significant damage to your roof and other exterior surfaces of your home.
Such damage can potentially reduce the life of your roof, as well as cause leaks that could damage the interior of your home.
In such instances, you can trust us to help settle your hail damage claim quickly and efficiently – and facilitate repairs to your home with minimal inconvenience for you.
If your home is damaged by hail
- To report a hail damage insurance claim, call Nationwide Claims Service at 1-800-421-3535 and have handy:
- Your policy number, and
- A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached.
- If windows, doors, or skylights have been broken, cover them with tarps or plywood to prevent rain damage inside your home. Be sure to save all repair receipts.
- Take inventory of any belongings that may have been destroyed or damaged, noting the brand, price, age, etc.
- Don’t start permanent, major repairs or renovations until your property has been inspected by a Nationwide representative.
- If your roof needs to be repaired or replaced, hire a professional roofing contractor. Most roofing jobs are not for DIYers.
How our claims process works
Once you file a hail damage claim, you’ll be assigned a Nationwide claims representative. The representative will:
- Review your insurance policy
- Explain the coverages that apply
- Help schedule an inspection of your property if needed.
Minor storm damage claims may be handled over the phone and payment issued immediately. Otherwise, a Nationwide representative may inspect your property and give you an estimate of the damage.
Any payment you receive is based on the coverage you purchased and the severity of the damage, minus any deductible you’re responsible for paying.
Arranging for repairs
For repairs, you’re free to arrange for a contractor on your own or select one from our On Your Side® Property Repair Network.
If you select your own, make sure they’ve operated in the area for several years, are licensed and insured.
If it’s your home that has been damaged and is unlivable while it’s being repaired, we may help cover your living expenses.