We’ve all been there: You need to pay back a friend for concert tickets or your sister for dinner, but you want it to be simple. If you take out cash, you still have to somehow get exact change, and if you write a check, the recipient will be the one who needs to go to the ATM. It’d be nice if there was something easier…
And now there is. With the Popmoney® personal payment service from Nationwide, you can pay just about anyone – your roommate, your coworker, your dog walker – directly from your Nationwide checking account or money market account using online banking or our mobile app.
Who can you send to or receive money from?
There’s absolutely no need to swap account numbers or other personal information, and all account details you enter are transmitted securely through our system. You must know:
- The person’s email address or phone number
- That the person has a checking or money market account with a bank – it does not need to be with Nationwide Bank
The other person must also register with Popmoney. To register, the recipient will first receive a text or email notification that money has been sent. Within that notification, there will be a link to the secure Popmoney site to register for the service if the recipient has not already registered. They will be asked to provide their contact information, address and bank account information including routing and account number.
Sending money via mobile app
Paying people via mobile banking is quick and intuitive, thanks to the app’s user-friendly design. The minimum payment amount that you can send is only $5. Here’s what you should do:
- Click “Payments” on the bottom menu and then select “Pay a Person.”
- Select “Send Money” and add the contact who you want to send money to. If you’re adding a new contact, you’ll start typing the name and then click “Add a new Popmoney contact.” You’ll need to add their email address or mobile phone number.
- Type the amount, add a short message if you’d like and choose the “Delivery By” date. At the very bottom, you’ll select the account you’ll be using.
- Click to send the payment. You’ll receive a confirmation text, and your recipient will receive either a text or email alert, depending on whether you entered their phone number or email address.
Sending money via online banking
If you’re in online banking (meaning you’re using your browser instead of the app), you’ll follow these steps to send money to someone.
- Log in to online banking and select “Pay People” from the top menu.
- Select the tab “Send Money” and then add an existing contact or click “Add a New Contact” to add someone else. You’ll need to know their email address or mobile phone number.
- Enter the amount and delivery date, as well as a memo if you’d like.
- Confirm the payment.
How do I request money in online banking?
You can request money just as easily as you can send it. The minimum payment amount that you can request is only $5.
- Click “Request Money” from the online banking menu.
- Fill out the name of the person you’re asking to pay you and add their email address or phone number.
- Select the amount and account where you’d like the funds to be deposited.
- Add an optional due date for the payment.
The person will then receive a link via text or email to pay your request.
What are the fees with person-to-person payment?
- Standard delivery is three business days and that’s free.
- You could choose next business day delivery for only 25 cents.
For those who still prefer checks
If you prefer sending checks or the recipient prefers receiving checks, we still have an online solution for you. You can pay people from your checking account through the “Pay Bills” feature, and instead of submitting funds electronically, we’ll mail a check for you. Here’s how to set it up:
- Log in to online banking and click “Pay Bills” from the top menu. Make sure “Payment Center” is highlighted in green.
- Select “Add a Company or Person” and then click “Person”
- Enter the person’s contact information and be sure to enter either a mobile number or email address. If you’ve already sent money to this contact before, you can just select the person’s name from your list and skip this step.
- Type in the amount and select the date. Your check will be delivered for free within three business days, unless you select rush delivery, which is a $17.50 fee.