woman holding cup

You might think that if your child goes away to school and doesn’t take a car, you can drop them from your auto policy and save some money. But will your child be covered if he or she:

  • Uses your car to visit friends while home during a college break?
  • Is away at college and a friend asks him or her to be a designated driver one evening?

Even if your child doesn’t take a car to school, he or she may be fully protected by your auto policy if an injury occurs while walking, biking or riding in somebody else’s car.

Keeping your child on your auto policy maintains continuous insurance coverage, which can help keep costs down when they purchase their own auto insurance policy. As a full-time student, your child may qualify for a good student discount or the student away at school discount (applicable if your child attends college 100 miles or more away from home).

An individual does not have to be a part of a household in order to be covered by your homeowners or personal auto policy. Conversely, not all residents of your home are covered under these policies.

Here are examples of who qualifies as insureds with Nationwide Private Client:

Named insured

Every policy lists a “named insured,” which is the person primarily insured under the policy and is usually named on a homeowner’s deed or auto title. If a house or car is jointly owned, both people may be listed as a named insured.


If your spouse resides in the home, he or she is automatically covered under your homeowners and auto policy, even if he or she is not identified in the policy. Civil partners are also included if a civil union or registered domestic partnership is filed and recognized by the state.

Children, relatives and students

Children in your home are covered for personal property and liability insurance if they are your relative (related to you by blood, marriage or adoption — including a ward or foster child). There is no age limit on coverage for relatives. Children, up to 26 years old in some states, and in the care of you or your relatives are also insureds. A nonrelative living in your home is not eligible for coverage on your policy.

Full-time students are considered insureds if they are related to you, under 26 years old and were residents of your household before moving out to attend school. Students not related to you are covered until age 21.

If your child lives at a campus dorm or off campus in a rented apartment, your homeowners insurance policy extends to cover his or her belongings, up to a 10% limit of your personal property coverage. For example, if your policy has a limit of $700,000 for personal property, your child’s belongings are covered for up to $70,000. Extended coverage for insured students is available as an optional endorsement to increase property and liability beyond 10%. Our homeowners policy includes worldwide liability coverage for insureds.

Roadside assistance is included in the Private Client auto policy, except in California and Indiana, where it is available by endorsement. Roadside assistance1 extends to any private passenger auto an insured or a relative (who regularly lives in the household) are occupying. It includes towing up to 100 miles, delivery of supplies, service to the battery, changing or inflating tires, lockout service up to $100 and trip interruption expense.


Homeowners bodily injury coverage is extended to household employees, such as housekeepers, nannies and landscapers. Employees who use your vehicle with your permission are covered for physical damage and liability.

Guests and other visitors

If you are liable for an injury sustained on your property or in your vehicle, the injuries will be covered up to the liability limit. If a guest is injured on your property and needs medical attention, the guest may receive up to $10,000 and higher limits with the home protection endorsement. Your guests and invited visitors are covered by your personal property insurance for up to $1,000 per occurrence if their belongings are damaged, regardless of legal liability.


Your homeowners policy does not cover tenants. Tenants need to purchase a separate renters policy to protect their belongings in case the home is damaged. A renters policy can also provide liability protection if someone suffers an injury or property damage due to a tenant’s negligence.

Why it’s important for you

Affluent clients’ insurance needs are typically not met by most mass-market carriers. At Nationwide Private Client, we’ve customized our policies with the affluent individual in mind. We pride ourselves in being a key solution before problems arise.

Nationwide Private Client offers these added benefits:

  • Specialized claims service: Our team of problem-solvers is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Financial strength: Nationwide, a Fortune 1002 company, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A1 by Moody’s and A+ by both AM Best and Standard & Poor’s.3
  • Charitable giving: At Nationwide, we strongly believe in being good corporate citizens where we work and live. Since 2000, the Nationwide Foundation has committed more than $588 million to charitable organizations across the U.S.

[1] Coverage varies in Virginia.
[2] Based on revenue, Fortune magazine (May 2022).
[3] Ratings have been affirmed on 12/22/21 by AM Best, 5/27/20 by Moody’s and 4/19/22 by Standard & Poor’s.