Does homeowners insurance cover theft?

Theft of any kind can be devastating for homeowners. Your home contains not only items with monetary value, but also items with emotional value for you and your family. That’s why having the right homeowners insurance policy is crucial in the unfortunate event of a break-in.

If you have just experienced a theft or break-in, contact the police right away to file a report. Then, file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible.

Does homeowners insurance cover theft from a home?

Typical homeowners (including renters and condominium) policies include coverage for your personal property. Loss due to theft is generally included as part of the personal property protection. This means that if an intruder breaks in and steals valuables from your home or detached structures, your home insurance should cover it. Most policies also include coverage for your property while it is away from the home, subject to limitations. However, the personal property limits are initially set as a percentage of your dwelling coverage, which determines how much your insurance provider can reimburse you for the theft. It’s important to set realistic limits based on the value of the items in your home so you don’t end up with a significant loss.

In addition to our standard homeowners policy, Nationwide offers optional coverages, like Brand New Belongings, which pays to repair or replace your covered belongings without deduction for depreciation, regardless of age or condition, to provide you with extra protection in the event of theft. Learn more about how Brand New Belongings coverage can give you funds to have your items repaired or replaced with brand new versions.

Does homeowners insurance cover car theft?

No, your homeowner’s policy would not cover this. Comprehensive coverage, which is an optional coverage on your auto insurance policy, will cover this loss.

Does homeowners insurance cover theft from a car?

Comprehensive insurance will cover costs to the car resulting from a break-in, including vehicle repairs. Audio equipment that is permanently installed in your car is also covered. As for other valuables stolen from your car, your home, condominium insurance or renters policy may cover your loss. You should maintain adequate proof of ownership, such as a receipt.

Your home, condominium or renters policy deductible will apply to any covered loss and any payments are not made until the deductible is met.

To learn more about what homeowners insurance covers, read our common homeowners insurance FAQs.

Product, coverage, discounts, insurance terms, definitions, and other descriptions are intended for informational purposes only and do not in any way replace or modify the definitions and information contained in your individual insurance contracts, policies, and/or declaration pages from Nationwide-affiliated underwriting companies, which are controlling. Such products, coverages, terms, and discounts may vary by state and exclusions may apply.

The information included here is designed for informational purposes only. It is not legal, tax, financial or any other sort of advice, nor is it a substitute for such advice. The information may not apply to your specific situation. We have tried to make sure the information is accurate, but it could be outdated or even inaccurate in parts. It is the reader’s responsibility to comply with any applicable local, state or federal regulations. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and their employees make no warranties about the information nor guarantee of results, and they assume no liability in connection with the information provided. Nationwide and the Nationwide N and Eagle are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. © 2024 Nationwide