All vehicle insurance
All business insurance
By business type
All investment products
Starting a property damage claim
Even if you don’t have all the information you need to file your claim, it’s important to file immediately so we can begin the process. Just be sure to contact us later with any follow-up information.
To start your claim online, please have handy:
- Your name, address, telephone number and policy number
- The type of property damage claim (wind, water, fire, theft, etc.)
- Description of the damage to your home or personal property
You’ll then be assigned a Nationwide claims associate, who will:
- Gather facts about the damage to your property
- Explain coverages in your policy and your deductible
- Help schedule an inspection of the damage, if necessary
Estimating damage and repair
Some claims may be settled over the phone. Otherwise, a claims associate may inspect your property and estimate the cost to repair the damage.
For repairs, you’re free to find your own contractor or select one from our On Your Side Property Repair Network®.
Settling and closing your claimOnce your damages have been estimated and reviewed with you, we’ll issue payment under the terms of your policy. Minus your applicable deductible.
Typical property insurance claims
Each claim is handled on the basis of its individual facts and circumstances, in accordance with policy language, including applicable exclusions, conditions and limitations, as well as applicable controlling law.