All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and Utility Task Vehicles (UTVs) designed for farm or ranch use, such as John Deere Gators and Kawasaki Mules, can be covered by a farm insurance policy. ATVs and UTVs are covered for liability when used on and off your farm or ranch, provided that they are used for farm or ranch purposes. In other words, if you are on or off your insured premise using the vehicle to transport feed, grain, or other farm products, equipment, tools, or supplies, you are protected for liability.

When is your farm ATV/UTV protected?

ATVs and UTVs are covered for liability on the farm policy as long as they are being used for farming purpose. These vehicles can also be insured on your farm property insurance for physical damage coverage, which would require your agent to schedule the vehicle on the property coverage. 

It’s important to note that if you take your ATV on the road for recreational, non-farm use, you will not be protected for liability.

If you routinely ride your ATVs or UTVs off your insured premises for recreational use, ask your agent about an optional coverage you can purchase to cover off-premises use. If you own recreational-use ATVs, this optional coverage is highly recommended.

ATVs or UTVs licensed for road use may require a commercial auto policy or a recreational vehicle policy. For more information, talk to a local Nationwide Farm Certified agent.

Get more information

Tractor icon

Learn about Nationwide agribusiness insurance

Person icon

Find a farm agent

Email icon

Subscribe to the Ag Insight Center email newsletter