It’s important you understand what is safe and not safe when processing email in your inbox.
It’s safe to:
- Open and read an email
- Preview an email in your inbox
- Delete or ignore an email
- Suspect a phishing email
It's not safe to:
- Open attachments or click on links
- Preview an attachment or link in your inbox – that’s just like opening it
- Reply to or provide information back to the sender
Ask yourself these questions when reviewing your inbox
- Is it expected? If you’re not expecting an email, trust your gut and report it.
- Do you know the sender? If not, try to verify the sender using another method. If it doesn’t check out, it could be suspect.
- Do I need to respond now? Nope! Pump the breaks and take your time. If it doesn’t feel right to you, it probably isn’t.