Deterring burglars all year long
To secure your home all year long, install the following:
- Home security system
- Strong exterior doors made of solid wood or steel
- Deadbolt locks
- Motion-activated sensors on outdoor floodlights
- Block windows or locked window well covers for the basement
- Locks for your pet doors
For more tips on deterring break-ins year round, check out the home burglary prevention page.
Vacation safety tips for when you’re about to travel
- Resist the urge to mention your trip on social media or in public. You can always post the pictures (and re-live the vacation) once you’re back home.
- Make an inventory of your valuables, including serial numbers and photos.
- Stop the newspaper and mail, or ask a trusted neighbor to pick them up.
- Park your car inside the garage – and ask a neighbor to park in your driveway occasionally.
- Put at least one light on a timer.
- Arrange for your lawn to stay trimmed.
And just in case someone does break in
Even if the best vacation safety precautions fail to keep burglars out of your house, you don't have to make it easy for them if they get in. Some ways to make their “job” harder and protect yourself:
- Don't keep expensive jewelry on your bedroom dresser.
- Don't store your expensive flatware in the dining room hutch or china cabinet.
- Keep important documents, financial information & small valuables in a fireproof safe, discreetly hidden in your house.
Make sure you have the right home insurance policy
No matter the precautions taken to prevent theft, sometimes the unexpected still happens. In the event thieves break into your house, steal your personal items or damage your home, home insurance may be able to help you. Learn more about Nationwide’s homeowners insurance and renters policies today.