Do I need vacation rental insurance

Owning a second home or vacation rental property is an extension of the American dream. But just as your primary home has costs, upkeep and liability concerns, the same goes for your vacation rental property.

The operative question for property owners is usually: “Do I need separate vacation rental insurance for owners?”

The question of coverage applies to the usual policies property owners use to insure their primary homes. Will it still cover the secondary home used as a rental property?

Homeowners policy

If you’re renting out the vacation property for money, it’s considered a business activity and probably not covered by the homeowners policy. Even if you don’t earn a lot from the rental income, insurance companies still consider it a business activity and may even exclude vacation rental homes from coverage. An important distinction is when you have a vacation home that you don’t rent out but let family and friends borrow. An insurance carrier likely won’t classify that as a rental property, and it can be covered by a separate homeowners policy.

Condo/association insurance policy

If your rental is located in a building or community with a blanket or group policy, find out what’s covered. Most likely, the policy covers liability on the grounds or building exterior but not the interior of your property. If there’s a problem inside your rental home, that’s your responsibility.

Personal liability or umbrella insurance

A personal liability or personal umbrella policy covers people in your household for personal negligence or liability. As a home rental is considered a business venture, these policies generally wouldn’t apply.

According to the Insurance Information Institute, “If you plan to regularly rent out your second home, you may need separate business coverage or a landlord policy.”

How much does vacation rental insurance cost?

The cost of vacation property rental insurance depends on a number of factors. They include your deductible, the replacement cost value of the home, the location, amenities and amount of coverage selected. Vacation rental insurance policies are usually more expensive than primary homeowners insurance, because the home sits vacant more frequently and there’s a higher likelihood of filing a claim.

If you don’t have any or don’t have the right insurance coverage, you may be taking a big financial risk. Talk to your insurance agent to find out more about the coverage you need to protect your vacation rental.

Need protection for embracing your empty nest?
Read our resources for transitioning to retirement.

Product, coverage, discounts, insurance terms, definitions, and other descriptions are intended for informational purposes only and do not in any way replace or modify the definitions and information contained in your individual insurance contracts, policies, and/or declaration pages from Nationwide-affiliated underwriting companies, which are controlling. Such products, coverages, terms, and discounts may vary by state and exclusions may apply.

The information included here is designed for informational purposes only. It is not legal, tax, financial or any other sort of advice, nor is it a substitute for such advice. The information may not apply to your specific situation. We have tried to make sure the information is accurate, but it could be outdated or even inaccurate in parts. It is the reader’s responsibility to comply with any applicable local, state or federal regulations. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and their employees make no warranties about the information nor guarantee of results, and they assume no liability in connection with the information provided. Nationwide and the Nationwide N and Eagle are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. © 2024 Nationwide