Are you a financial professional or institutional investor?
Learn more about offering Nationwide mutual funds as a financial professional, contact a Nationwide wholesaler at 1-877-877-5083, or visit our site for institutional investors.

Each state has laws to define when property is considered officially abandoned. Time periods typically range from 3 - 5 years, depending on the state.

By law, mutual funds companies are required to make annual reports to state governments listing inactive accounts. Please refer to your state’s treasury website for the time period specific to your state.

Action required for abandoned property

If you received an abandoned property notice from Nationwide Funds, you’ll need to establish contact with us in one of these ways:

  • Log into your account and follow the instructions for creating online access to your account
  • Call 1-800-848-0920, option 1. Select prompt 2, then prompt 5 and follow the instructions for making contact
  • Follow the instructions in the letter mailed to you so we can capture and document your response

Abandoned property and escheatment FAQs

Expand all

Property that is unclaimed by its rightful owner or their heirs. Regarding escheatment, states define abandoned property as:

  • Accounts without activity initiated by the account owner
  • Accounts with an address deemed as undeliverable by the United States Postal Service
  • Uncashed checks
Escheatment is defined as the process of turning over financial assets that are considered lost or abandoned property to a state authority.
The easiest way to maintain contact is to access your account(s) online. Log in to your account(s) at least annually. Account statements, tax forms, regulatory materials and confirmation of activity statements can be accessed from your online account(s).
No, automatic transactions are generally not considered contact by state rules and will not prevent your assets from being escheated. This also applies to automatic investments and systematic withdrawals, dividends and capital gain payments and reinvestments.
Abandoned property account(s) with foreign registration(s) are escheatable to the state of Delaware (the state in which Nationwide Funds is incorporated).
Contact the Unclaimed Property Division in your state by visiting your state government’s website or by using the unclaimed property website.
Ready to get started? To purchase Nationwide funds, call 1-877-245-0761 to talk to a specialist, or speak with your financial professional.
To service an existing account, call 1-800-848-0920.