What is Inland Marine Insurance?

The construction business is changing rapidly. More goods are being handled and stored than ever before, and project costs are growing. It’s important to secure the right type of insurance coverage to keep your business protected. That’s where Nationwide’s® Inland Marine comes in. Inland Marine insurance, also known as property in transit insurance, gets its name from insuring the transportation of goods over water. Over the years, inland marine coverage has expanded to also cover goods in transit on land.

We understand your unique Inland Marine insurance needs. From our highly competitive pricing structure to our diverse portfolio of products and endorsements and our extensive underwriting experience, business owners like you turn to us to safeguard their business.

Key Inland Marine coverages

Builder's Risk

Our coverage is designed to protect construction projects through every phase. This includes buildings under construction or renovation, temporary job site structures, building materials in temporary storage and debris removal.

Contractor's Equipment

Our coverage offers the protection needed for machinery and equipment, whether owned, rented, leased or borrowed. This includes coverage for large equipment needs, loss of equipment expenses and rental costs, debris removal and pollutant cleanup.

Installation Floater

Our floater provides builders broad all-around property coverage. It may include property in transit to the job site, awaiting installation, or property that’s temporarily stored at a location the builder neither owns nor operates.

Additional Inland Marine coverages

  • Bailees coverage
  • Contractors Advantage/Contractors Advantage Plus
  • Electronic data processing (EDP)
  • Equipment sales and rental
  • Fine arts
  • Leased and rented equipment
  • Medical diagnostic equipment floater
  • Scheduled property floater
  • Motor truck cargo
  • Riggers' liability
  • Warehouse legal liability
large pipe drains

When you're covered with Nationwide, you can expect:

  • Coverages that can be tailored to you with convenient pay plans
  • Quick turnaround times on quotes
  • Inland Marine-specific expertise and support from Loss Control Services and Claims professionals

You can be confident that you're working with a strong, stable company.

Rated A+ for financial stability by AM Best1

We are a FORTUNE 100 company2

construction equipment
Construction loss control services

When you insure your business with Nationwide, you get access to our dedicated construction loss control resources to help you manage risks.

Explore our services

Find an agent

[1] AM Best (Dec. 22, 2021).
[2] Based on revenue, Fortune magazine (May 23, 2022).