Glove compartments are great places to stash stuff on the go. Some overflow with leftover fast-food ketchup packets, hair bands and receipts from purchases long forgotten. Others hold simply a vehicle’s title and registration, two pieces of paper that are like gold to a car thief.
So what should you keep in your glove box? Check out our lists of must-haves and nice-to-haves – neither of which includes gloves.
The crucial stuff
- Critical medical information. Write down any medical conditions, medications and allergies for each family member in case you’re involved in an accident and can’t communicate these important facts yourself.
- Emergency contact numbers. Write them down, and while you’re at it, add them to your cell phone and put them in your wallet, too.
- Pen and paper. If you’re in an accident and need to exchange information, you’ll have something to write with – and on.
- Proof of insurance. It’s the law almost everywhere in the United States. But don’t store the car’s title (keep that at home) or registration (keep that in your wallet) in your glove compartment.
- Owner’s manual and recommended maintenance schedule. So you can figure out what those weird symbols on the dash mean.
The convenient stuff
- A flashlight. To help you find that dropped french fry under the passenger seat.
- Napkins, travel wipes, tissues and hand sanitizer. After touching the gasoline hose at your next fill-up, you’ll be glad to have something to wipe the odor off your hands.
- High-energy snacks. Stash a few granola bars in the glove box so you can last through an extra-long rush hour.
- Plastic grocery bags. Smash a few into a zip-top plastic bag and use them for trash as the need arises.
- Lint roller. If you have pets, you know you can never have too many of these.
Some drivers even stow copies of their living will and power of attorney for health care in their glove compartments when they travel. That way, their requests will be close at hand in the event that something happens while they’re out of town. And they will likely still have room for a few stray hair bands.