Figuring out the basics
- What plans are offered, and what are their features?
- When can you begin contributing?
- Does the company match your contribution – and how much is the match?
- Do contributions lower your taxable income – and is there a Roth option?
- What is the maximum annual contribution?
- How long does it take to be vested in the plan?
Managing your plan
- What are your investment options?
- Can you select your own investments?
- How often can you change your investments to match your current needs?
- Is there a catch-up provision for older workers to make larger contributions?
- How can you obtain a schedule and explanation of the plan management fees?
- Who are the fund managers, and how have they performed in the past?
Tracking and accessing your funds
- Are statements, tools and planning resources available online?
- Can you make emergency withdrawals during a financial hardship?
- What are the conditions for borrowing from the account, if it’s allowed?
- At what age do payouts start?
- When do you have to start taking payouts?
Want to work with a financial professional?