truck pulling RV

If you currently own or are considering buying a recreational vehicle (RV), you are likely asking yourself: do I need RV insurance? Like auto insurance, coverage for your recreational vehicle is required. Many states require uninsured or underinsured insurance, and every state requires minimum liability coverage if the vehicle is driven on the road.

If your state requires at least 20/40/10 in liability coverage, for instance, then you need bodily injury insurance that covers $20,000 per person, $40,000 per accident, as well as $10,000 per accident for property damage.

Keep in mind that state minimum liability limits apply to vehicles that are self-propelled. On a towable RV, such as a 5th wheel, camper or travel trailer, the liability extends from the tow vehicle.

Also, state minimum liability limits may not be sufficient for your situation. It's important to have sufficient coverage to protect your assets in a serious accident or lawsuit. Without enough liability coverage, you risk going into debt or losing the things you've worked hard for – your home, car, RV, personal possessions and life savings.

Standard coverages for motorhomes and RVs

Some basic insurance coverages for motorhomes and RVs include:

  • Bodily injury liability, which helps pay for bodily injury damages you may become legally liable for as a result of an accident. This includes paying for an injured party's medical bills and loss of income, up to your coverage limit.

  • Property damage liability, which helps pay for damages to another person’s vehicle or property you, may become legally liable for as a result of an accident.

  • Uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage, which reimburses you for injuries or damages (up to your coverage limits) caused by a driver who doesn’t have enough – or any – liability insurance.

  • Medical payments, which helps pay medical expenses for you, your family household members and your passengers due to accidental bodily injury while occupying your RV, no matter who is at fault.

  • Comprehensive, which provides coverage for loss to your RV not caused by collision, such as damage caused by contact with animals, falling objects, vandalism, theft, fire or hail.

  • Collision, which pays for damage to your RV if you hit another vehicle or object, another vehicle hits you, or your RV rolls over.

Coverages for motorhomes and RVs

Some coverages available for motorhomes and RVs include:

  • Custom equipment, which includes coverage for aftermarket parts and equipment that were not originally installed by the manufacturer.

  • Safety glass replacement, which provides coverage for the repair or replacement of the windshield.

  • Awning replacement, which provides coverage to replace an awning destroyed in a covered loss with a brand-new awning.

  • Vacation liability, which provides liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage while your RV is being used as a temporary residence.

  • Physical damage settlement options, which include 1) the vehicle’s actual cash value, 2) the agreed value shown on the policy or 3) the total replacement cost, which would replace your RV with a new one in the event of a total loss during the first five model years.

  • Roadside Assistance, which provides towing to the location of your choice, up to 100 miles from the location of disablement. It also provides emergency roadside services, which include extraction (if stuck on or within 100 feet of a road or highway), delivery of supplies (including oil, water and other fluids), service to the battery, changing or inflating of flat tires, lockout service and fuel.

  • Full Timers Package, which provides protection if you use your RV as a permanent residence and do not own or reside in another dwelling.

Get an RV insurance quote

Whether you use your RV for an occasional vacation or as a permanent residence, Nationwide has the RV coverage you need. We have dependable coverage for motorhomes, RVs and travel trailers.

For a free RV insurance quote, call 1-877-669-6877 and be sure to ask about RV insurance discounts.

boat icon
Need protection for embracing your empty nest?
Read our resources for transitioning to retirement.

Insurance terms, definitions and explanations are intended for informational purposes only and do not in any way replace or modify the definitions and information contained in individual insurance contracts, policies or declaration pages, which are controlling. Such terms and availability may vary by state and exclusions may apply.