Our Claims Team Can Help You Get Your Home Back In Order
At Nationwide, we work hard to make sure the process to settle your insurance claim is second to none, whether it’s a home, condo or renters insurance claim.
Our property claims process is designed to help settle your claim quickly and efficiently – and get your home back into shape with minimal inconvenience for you.
While each claim may be different, here’s what typically happens at each step in the process:
Starting a claim
Please have handy:
- Your name, address, telephone number and policy number
- The type of property damage claim (wind, water, fire, theft, etc.)
- Description of the damage to your home or personal property
You’ll then be assigned a Nationwide claims representative, who will:
- Gather facts about the damage to your property
- Explain coverages in your policy and your deductible
- Help schedule an inspection of the damage, if necessary
Estimating Damage and Repair
Minor property damage claims may be handled over the phone. Depending on the extent of the damage, however, a representative may be required to inspect your property.
The representative will provide you with a detailed written estimate and assessment that includes all visible and verifiable damages.
In some cases, you may receive payment immediately after the inspection is completed.
When it comes to repairs, you may select a contractor from our On Your Side® Property Repair network, or you may arrange for a contractor on your own.
If you select your own, make sure they’ve operated in the area for several years, are insured and will give you a written guarantee.
Protecting your property – and more
Your claims representative may suggest ways to protect your property to prevent further damage and to ensure the claims process and reimbursement for costs goes smoothly.
- Making reasonable temporary repairs to avoid further damage
- Taking pictures of the damaged property before it’s repaired or discarded
- Securing windows, doors and roof damage
- Keeping receipts of expenses you incurred as a result of the damage to your property
If it’s your home that has been damaged and is unlivable while it’s being repaired, we may be able to help cover your living expenses as well.
Settling and Closing Your Claim
Once your damages have been estimated and reviewed with you, we’ll issue payment under the terms of your policy, minus any deductible amount you’re responsible for paying.
Depending on the circumstances of your claim, you can choose how you receive this payment: direct deposit to your bank account, on a Visa® debit card or by check.
Typical property insurance claims