Contractors face unique and often dangerous risks everyday on the job. Whether you’re an electrical or plumbing and HVAC contractor, you know that in a split second accidents can happen.

Because every business is different, commercial insurance solutions for contractors can range from a standard policy to a more thorough mix of coverages. The type of contracting business you own – such as masonry, landscaping or new construction– as well as its size and location will affect the types of insurance you may need.

We understand the risks contractors face every day and have developed commercial insurance solutions to help meet your varied needs.

Who needs contractors insurance?

To protect yourself and your business from work-related accidents, it is recommended the following contractors carry contractors insurance:
  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • HVAC contractors
  • Carpenters
  • Construction workers
  • Painters
  • Landscapers

Core coverages


Helps cover medical expenses and legal fees you incur while defending against a lawsuit from a covered event.

Liability coverage

Covers mobile machinery and equipment in any location or while in transit.

Inland marine coverage

Other business insurance policies you may need

Even more coverage you may need

Contractors equipment

Protect your valuable electrician tools and machinery against damage while on the job. Common tools include those used in construction, landscaping and engineering, such as compressors, pumps, saws and other portable equipment.

Employee dishonesty

Get coverage to help recover losses from employee theft.

Equipment leased or rented from others

Protect equipment that you have rented or leased for your electrical contracting business, such as forklifts and backhoes.

Optional enhancements & endorsements

We offer coverage enhancements and endorsements to address risks unique to your industry, including:
  • Contractors errors and omissions
  • Numerous additional insured endorsement
  • Expanded property damage
  • Limited pollution coverage
  • Waiver of subrogation
  • Pre-project aggregate limit
We also have many different types of construction bonds, such as:
  • City/State contractor’s license bonds
  • Business services
  • Fidelity coverage
  • Bid bonds
  • Performance and payment bonds
Woman reaching for an item on a shelf in a store

Loss control services & risk management

When you insure your business with Nationwide, you get loss control tools and resources, including a Loss Control Services team who can review your operations, procedures and programs.

Find an agent

Product, coverage, discounts, insurance terms, definitions, and other descriptions are intended for informational purposes only and do not in any way replace or modify the definitions and information contained in your individual insurance contracts, policies, and/or declaration pages from Nationwide-affiliated underwriting companies, which are controlling. Such products, coverages, terms, and discounts may vary by state and exclusions may apply.