Nationwide business insurance claims FAQ

Have a question about Nationwide business claims? Start here.

General business claims

Expand all

Log in to your account and file a claim online. If you don’t have an online account, you can sign up for online account access or call 1-800-421-3535. You can also contact your agent to file a claim. Be sure to file your claim immediately following a loss or employee injury.

You’ll need:
  • Contact information for you and others involved
  • Your policy information
  • The date of the incident
  • A description of the injury or damages
  • If applicable, the claimant’s or employee’s name and contact information

If you need additional help, contact your agent, who’s always there to answer any questions.

After your claim has been submitted, your claim will be assigned to a claims professional, who will help you manage your claim and handle most of your questions. Claims professionals strive for same-day contact after your claim is submitted. Your claims professional will walk you through all aspects of the claims process and may schedule time with you to do an on-site evaluation.

Please contact your assigned claims professional with any questions. If you cannot remember the name or contact information of your claims professional, call us at 1-800-421-3535. We’re available 24/7.

Claims payments are determined by a covered cause of loss, type and extent of damages, and the applicable coverage that was purchased. Following the receipt of a property, auto or general liability claim, a claims professional will review your coverage, investigate the loss and evaluate the damage(s) to determine what the appropriate payment may be under the policy.

For a workers’ compensation claim, the claims professional must first determine whether the claim is covered and eligible for compensation, subject to state regulations. Be sure to immediately report your claim in order to set the claims management process in motion.

For third-party claims in which a claimant is alleging that you’re liable for damage(s), such as a bodily injury or property damage, we’ll evaluate your coverage, investigate any losses, and work toward final determination of the claim outcome (settlement or denial).

Business auto claims

Expand all

Move your vehicle to a safe location if it’s safe to drive. If necessary, call 9-1-1 and/or the police or fire department. Remain calm. Be sure to exchange contact and insurance information, as well as drivers’ licenses, with the other drivers. If one of your employees is involved, be sure to gather their information as well.

Avoid discussing fault. If it’s safe to do so, take photos of the damage to all vehicles and the location of the accident. If your vehicle is hauling product, you should also file a property claim. 

For more information on the business auto claims process, visit our business auto claims resource page.

Yes. Because your commercial auto insurance policy also provides liability protection in the event of a claim against you, submitting a claim lets us begin investigating immediately. Filing the claim also lets us protect your interests.

If you or your employee was operating a vehicle that was carrying materials or substances that spilled during the accident, please let us know immediately. In most cases, a local first response team will arrive for cleanup.

Your claims professional will conduct a thorough investigation to determine which party is at fault for the accident.

We offer several options:
  1. We can recommend a repair facility through our On Your Side Auto Repair Network® if your vehicle qualifies for service at one of our locations; the repair facility can provide you with an estimate.
  2. You can obtain a written estimate at one of our Drive-Ins, if your vehicle qualifies.
  3. One of our claims professionals can provide you with an estimate.

Talk with your claims professional about your options.

The choice of repair shops is up to you. You can choose to use your own repair shop or one of our On Your Side® repair shops, if your vehicle qualifies. Typically, your vehicle would qualify for On Your Side repair shop service if it’s a private passenger vehicle, which includes passenger cars, pickup trucks, vans and SUVs. Talk to your claims professional about your repair shop options.

If you choose one of our On Your Side repair shops, the workmanship on appraised and completed repairs is guaranteed for as long as you own or lease your vehicle.

You can use the repair shop of your choice. Your repair shop may be able to send us an electronic copy of the estimate it prepares. If not, your claims professional will ask you to send us a copy of the estimate, which we’ll need to process your claim.

Some claims may require an inspection by an appraiser. We cannot provide the same guarantee of repairs for shops outside the On Your Side® repair shop network.

A “non-OEM” part is a part not manufactured by or for the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of the vehicle. Yes, we’ll repair or replace any defective non-OEM part specified on your repair appraisal for as long as you own or lease your vehicle. The use of a non-OEM part will not void the warranty on your vehicle.

Yes. You can choose which parts will be used in the repair of your vehicle. Even if there is a non-OEM part available, you can choose to use an OEM part. You simply pay the difference in cost between the OEM part and the non-OEM part.

Nationwide may provide rental car coverage for a business auto loss. Please contact your claims professional to discuss your rental car coverage options.

Your appraisal will show the total cost of repairs related to the accident. Included in the appraisal will be the amount of your deductible, which you’ll pay to the repair shop when your repairs are complete.

If your vehicle is determined to be a total loss, a Nationwide claims professional will review your damage estimate and your vehicle’s condition and discuss options and valuation with you.

If injuries are covered within your policy, we’ll work directly with your healthcare provider to ensure that your medical bills are paid on time.

If you have a loan on your vehicle, your lienholder has an interest in seeing your vehicle repaired. We may be required to include them on the payment.

We recommend that you do not pay the shop until repairs are completed to your satisfaction.

Business property claims

Expand all

We have an in-house team of accountants to assist in the evaluation of business income claims. If you have business interruption coverage for a covered cause of loss, we’ll review your financial records and compensate you for any covered lost income and extra expense during the period while your building is being restored.

In general, replacement cost value is the amount it would cost to repair or replace damaged covered property, at the time of the loss or damage, with materials of like kind and quality without deduction for deterioration, depreciation and obsolescence. Actual cash value is the cost to repair or replace damaged covered property, at the time of the loss or damage, with material of like kind and quality, (subject to a deduction for deterioration, depreciation and obsolescence).

Unless you repair the damages or replace covered property, a replacement cost value policy allows for reimbursement on an actual cash value basis only. In that case, depreciation may be applied and will be reflected in your property damage estimate. (Some states may require replacement cost value.) You can collect the recoverable depreciation by providing us with documentation (such as receipts, photos or invoices), showing that the damages have been repaired or covered property has been replaced.

Your estimate will show the full cost of repairs or replacement of covered property. The amount of the deductible will be deducted from the estimated amount and documented in the estimate accordingly.

Damages are determined through several means and often are dependent on the type of loss and amount of damage sustained. We’ll help you determine the amount of damages based on local repair costs and labor rates using an electronic estimating system. Some claims will require an inspection by one of our field property professionals, while other claims may be handled by a desk claims professional through documentation that you submit or that we obtain.

First, show the estimate we provide you to your contractor (this estimate is based on the local market rates for labor and materials). If there are additional damages or differences in pricing, please contact us immediately so that we can reach agreement on the scope and cost of damages before repairs begin.

In some situations, a third party may be legally responsible for causing the damage to your property. If this is the case, we may seek reimbursement from the third party for the claim payments we made and for your policy deductible. This is called subrogation. If we pursue subrogation, we may need your assistance in retaining evidence, damaged products or materials.

Under the terms of your policy, we are required to include listed mortgagees, additional insureds, lien holders or other payees with an insurable interest in your business on claim payments.

Large losses often introduce an increased level of complexity and impact to your business, your family and your employees. To assist you, we have claims professionals dedicated to handling large loss claims. In many cases they’ll travel to the loss location and help you through the claims process. 

For the most complex claims, we have a team of general adjusters who will travel anywhere in the country to inspect and estimate the damages, and aid in the management of your claim.

General liability claims

Expand all
General liability insurance policies are designed for the following situations, but coverage depends on your individual policy:
  • Liability for bodily injury to customers or other third parties on your premises
  • Medical payments for those injured on your premises
  • Third-party property damage claims brought against you for claims arising out of your business operations
  • Advertising or personal injury

Once we receive your general liability claim, we will investigate the facts and determine whether coverage applies under the terms of your policy.

Be sure to immediately report a claim as soon as you become aware of a customer or other third-party accident or injury on your premises.

If you’re served with a lawsuit or claim from a third party, please notify your claims professional immediately.

If a third party files a claim or lawsuit against you or your business, let us know as soon as possible. We’ll evaluate your coverage and investigate and review the facts of the claim. If your coverage applies, we’ll also hire attorneys to represent your interests.

Workers’ compensation (employer)

Expand all

Every business should consider adopting and implementing a return-to-work program that can help injured employees get back to meaningful work as soon as medically possible. At Nationwide, we call this Successful Return-to-Work (SRTW).

As our customer, you have access to a sample interactive program that can serve as the framework for building your own SRTW program. This includes steps you can take both before and after an injury occurs to help facilitate positive outcomes for your employees and your business.

Read our SRTW overview brochure and SRTW implementation checklist. To access the sample program, log in to MyLossControlServices.com, and go to Resources > Loss Control Programs > Return-to-Work Program. If logging in for the first time, click “Sign Up” and follow the steps to register.

It’s important to educate your employees on workplace injury reporting procedures. It’s also important to train your supervisors to contact the Nationwide Claim Services Center immediately at 1-800-421-3535. Even if the injury does not require medical treatment. Some state statutes include fines or penalties for employers that fail to report within a prescribed timeframe.

If the employee needs emergency medical care, the supervisor should direct them to the nearest emergency medical facility for treatment. Once the need for emergency care has ended, many states permit employers to direct injured employees to obtain care with network providers. If your state permits it, establish a medical provider panel. Use the Nationwide Medical Provider Referral System directory to seek out authorized providers who specialize in treating occupational injuries. From hospitals to pharmacies to physicians and physical therapists, employees will find providers for the care they need.

In some cases, a listing of authorized medical treatment providers must be made available to all employees before an injury occurs. Please refer to our online Workers’ compensation claims toolkit for more information.

The supervisor should document any information received from the employee, such as:
  • A written statement
  • Name of medical treatment provider (in cases where treatment occurs before the employee reports the injury to their supervisor)
  • The employee’s contact information and wage information
  • Accident scene information and witness statements

Supervisors should also be sure to photograph and/or secure any object that caused the injury, if applicable. They should also keep in touch with the injured employee to make sure they’re being cared for and supported until the employee returns to work.

If a supervisor is unsure that an injury needs medical treatment (or what type of treatment is required) they should contact the Nationwide Nurse Triage Hotline at 1-855-921-9519. The Hotline’s registered nurses can help to determine an effective course of action and assist in coordinating initial care by an appropriate authorized provider, if necessary.

Depending on the severity of the injury involved, once a claim is reported to Nationwide, we assign a claims professional to help navigate the workers’ compensation benefits process and answer questions. That individual will record relevant information about the employee and their injury, and give the employee an opportunity to view a brief video that offers a preview of the services Nationwide provides as part of the claims process.

In some cases, Nationwide may offer medical case management assistance to the injured employee to obtain prompt medical treatment, access to network pharmacy providers, as well as physical therapy and diagnostic vendor partnerships. Our Medical Provider Referral System, our claims professional or the medical case management nurse can assist you with locating authorized treatment providers close to the employee’s home or work.

As noted above, our online Workers’ compensation claims toolkit includes state-specific claims department contact information, instructions and forms for your use. We also provide easy online access to a searchable database of authorized treatment providers through our Medical Provider Referral System.

Workers’ compensation (employee)

Expand all
You should immediately report the injury to your supervisor, manager, team leader, health nurse or human resources department, as directed by your employer. Please be prepared to give a detailed report about:
  • How the injury occurred
  • Time of injury
  • Activity being performed
  • Severity of the injury

Be sure to indicate whether you believe you may need medical treatment.

You’ll be contacted by one of our claims professionals, who will:
  • Initiate a claim investigation
  • Explain the claim process
  • Help arrange care and treatment for your injuries
  • Help you return to work

A medical case manager (nurse) may be assigned to your claim. The nurse and claims professional work together to help manage your claim and answer any questions.

It depends on your state-specific workers’ compensation statutes. Check with your state’s workers’ compensation bureau or insurance commission for more information.

Most workers’ compensation statutes provide benefits for injuries or illnesses suffered as a result of a specific accident or disease caused by a condition of your employment. Each claim must be investigated for a decision to be made that would entitle you to workers’ compensation benefits for your injury or illness.

Contact your claims professional for a complete explanation of wage loss benefits that may be available under the state statute that has jurisdiction over your claim.

Your claims professional will work with you to select a doctor or healthcare provider in accordance with the applicable state workers’ compensation statutes. You can also search for medical providers within our network through our Medical Provider Referral System directory.

You should bring the following to your appointment:
  • A list of your current medications
  • Medical records related to your current injury, if available
  • Work status report, if available

Be sure to give your claim number and the mailing address for your medical bills to the provider. If you have questions, contact your claims professional.

Yes. It’s important to keep in regular contact with your claims professional and provide a status update after each medical provider visit. Your claims professional can help you through the process, answer your questions, and work with you, your provider and your employer to assist you in your recovery.

You’ll receive a prescription card that will allow you to obtain your prescriptions through any participating pharmacy at no cost to you.

You should contact your claims professional to request assistance in coordinating equipment and/or medical services. In most cases, these are provided through one of our vendors, who will contact you to deliver any equipment or schedule home health care visits.

You should provide your claim number and the mailing address for your medical bills to anyone providing you with treatment for the work-related injury. If you have questions, contact your claims professional. All medical bills will be sent to the claims office handling your claim for review and payment, when applicable. State requirements for medical payments may vary.

Your nurse will work with you and your claims professional to assist with the coordination, authorization or facilitation of treatment or medical concerns. Your nurse will advocate on behalf of you and assist in locating a medical provider, changing a medical provider, coordinating care between multiple providers, scheduling treatment, obtaining medical records and otherwise communicating with providers. Your nurse may also assist in the coordination of your return to work.

If you miss work because of your work-related injury, you’ll be eligible for wage benefits in accordance with the applicable state workers’ compensation statutes. This will be subject to any waiting period that may apply.

Most state workers’ compensation statutes provide for wage loss benefits and permanent impairment and medical benefits for work-related injuries, depending on the severity of your injury.

You aren’t required to hire an attorney to file a workers’ compensation claim. You should immediately report your injury to your employer to begin the workers’ compensation claims handling process.

Can’t find the information you’re looking for?

Each claim is handled on the basis of its individual facts and circumstances, in accordance with policy language, including applicable exclusions, conditions and limitations, as well as applicable controlling law.