How to get a car insurance quote online
Whatever the reason, when you get an online insurance quote from Nationwide, you can tailor and purchase a car insurance policy instantly, and even print out your proof of insurance card. Here’s how it works:
1. Gather the information you will need about your cars and drivers
To speed up purchasing instant auto insurance online, have this basic information ready for each driver on your policy:
- Social Security number (optional)
- Driver’s license number
- Driving distance to work
- Driving violations, accidents or claims in the last five years (approximate dates and details)
- Make, model and year of your vehicle(s)
If you own a collectible car, you can also use the above information to get classic car insurance. Find out if you qualify today.
2. Get an insurance quote online
Nationwide's auto insurance quote tool is your fastest path to a quick car insurance quote. Enter your ZIP Code and click Get a Quote. Then answer some questions about yourself, the car you want to insure and the people who will be driving the vehicle.
You can also get fast car insurance quotes by calling 1-877-669-6877. And if you prefer working with a local agent, use our agent locator to find an agent near you.
3. How to compare car insurance
Once you have your car insurance quote, you may want to shop around to see who has the best options available for what kind of coverage or policy you need. When comparing, you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Coverages that are offered
- Discounts available
- Deductibles and liability limits
- Additional customizable features
4. Find Nationwide car insurance discounts
As you get your instant auto insurance quote, Nationwide will help identify discounts on car insurance that might apply to your policy to and save you money by lowering your premium in a big way.
- Multi-policy discounts: Depending on where you live, you may qualify for lower rates when you have multiple Nationwide insurance policies.
- Safe driver discount: You may also be able to lower your car insurance rate by avoiding speeding tickets, reckless driving, or having an accident-free record.
- Anti-theft discount: If your vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft device or passenger restraint system, you may save even more.
- Nationwide SmartRide: You may also earn a discount through the SmartRide program which is a usage-based program that gives members feedback to help encourage safe driving.1
5. Understand your coverage options
With Nationwide, you have a number of car insurance coverage options to choose from that can help fit your needs. Common coverage options include:
- Gap coverage
- Uninsured motorist
- Bodily injury liability
- Roadside Assistance
Find out more about Nationwide’s auto insurance coverage options.
6. Liability car insurance
Liability insurance is considered the most basic, minimum auto insurance you can buy – and it's required in most states. Essentially, if you want to get behind the wheel, you need to have it.
If you're thinking about requesting a quote for just liability auto insurance, make sure you know what the quoted policies do and do not cover. The most basic policy may keep you legal, but fall short of the coverage you need if you're in a serious accident or your car is damaged in some other way. For a slightly higher price, you may avoid big expenses down the road.
7. Customize your policy with additional options:
Our most popular, affordable upgrades include:
8. Select the auto insurance policy that’s right for you
When you receive your instant car insurance quote from Nationwide, you will get several options to choose from, making it easy to select a policy that’s right for you and your budget. You can also change coverages to create a more personalized policy.
9. Choose a payment method and buy your insurance instantly
Once you’ve picked a policy, simply choose a payment option to complete the transaction. After that, you can download your proof of insurance card and print it out.