Avoid parking lot mishaps during holiday frenzy
Nationwide Insurance advises go slow, be focused, drive defensively
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 20, 2012
Nancy Smeltzer (614) 249-4491
Columbus, OH -- Don’t get crunched this holiday season. According to Nationwide Insurance 2012 claims data, about 13 percent of auto accidents occur in parking lots.
With so many demands on your time at this time of year, Nationwide reminds motorists to stay focused while driving and to practice defensive driving especially in parking lots where traffic is heavy and drivers are often the most distracted.
“Be mindful of other drivers,” said Bill Windsor, Associate Vice President of Consumer Safety at Nationwide. “Crowded parking lots are fertile ground for fender benders. Don’t suspend your good judgment in the rush to shop. Please drive defensively.”
Here are some quick reminders from Nationwide Insurance and the National Safety Council to avoid a parking lot mishap this holiday season.
• Don’t speed.
• Slow down.
• Be aware of what others around you are doing and expect the unexpected.
• Watch for pedestrians. Most parking lots do not have walkways for them which means they walk in the traffic lanes, often with small children.
• Look for children or objects in your way before backing out of a parking space.
• Back out of a parking space very slowly because the cars next to you may block your vision.
• Look for cars waiting to take your parking space, others who are backing out at the same time and motorists speeding through lanes.
• And remember! Santa doesn't carry insurance on his reindeers. Be sure you’re protected.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. The company provides customers a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto insurance, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, pet, life insurance, farm, commercial insurance, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and specialty health services. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, the Nationwide frame mark, and On Your Side are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.