July 03, 2012
Nationwide, Allied Recent Storm Claims Top More Than 9,000
Nationwide reminds homeowners: Protect yourself from contractor fraud
Columbus, Ohio - Nationwide and Allied Insurance (collectively “Nationwide”) customers are getting assistance from claims representatives and agents in response to damages caused by recent severe weather.
As of late Monday, July 2, Nationwide has received more than 9,000 claims from weekend storms that swept through the Midwest and into the Mid Atlantic. Procedures are in place to respond quickly to customer needs. Nationwide and Allied Insurance policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide and Allied claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent. Nationwide urges policyholders to keep a few things in mind when selecting a contractor to repair damage from recent severe weather.
“Unfortunately, contractor fraud exists especially after a weather catastrophe” said Peter Lore, Nationwide associate vice president of claims. “However, there are steps homeowners can take to protect themselves.”
Nationwide offers the following tips for homeowners to help protect from contractor/repair fraud:
- Request an itemized written estimate for any proposed work from contractors.
- Be wary of estimates that seem wholly unreasonable. Nationwide will provide compensation for reasonable estimates for the correct method of repair. Policyholders can call and ask us about an estimate.
- Beware of profiteers. Contact your local Better Business Bureau if you have any concerns with a contractor you may decide to use for repairs.
- Avoid paying any upfront fees and be wary of cash deposits. One common scam is to show up with equipment to perform the work, promise to return in a few hours and never come back.
- It is always a good idea to take pictures of any damage before repairs begin.
- If you have any questions, call the Nationwide and Allied Insurance claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or your local agent immediately.
Allied Insurance is a property and casualty insurer established in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1929. Allied operates in 33 states through a network of independent agents with regional offices in Denver, CO; Des Moines, IA; Lincoln, NE; Gainesville, FL; and Sacramento, CA. Allied has been a member of the Nationwide family of companies since 1998, and is responsible for Nationwide’s independent agency system. Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the country’s largest multi-line insurers and financial services organizations. Information is available at www.alliedinsurance.com.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. The company provides customers a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto insurance, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, pet, life insurance, farm, commercial insurance, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and specialty health services. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.