It's critical for you to protect your business by identifying potential risks from natural and manmade disasters.
To reduce the risk of your business becoming part of a wildfire:
- Maintain a 30-foot "combustible-free" zone around your facility. Remove any trees and combustible material, such as brush. Keep grass mowed and irrigated.
- Consider the use of flame-resistant building materials when building or renovating
- Keep the roof and gutters clear of debris
- Attach nonflammable, fine-gauge screening over all chimneys
To prepare for a tornado:
- Assign an employee to be responsible for monitoring weather alerts
- Establish interior, preferably basement, locations for employees to gather. Bathrooms, corners and short hallways are safest.
- Remember, a "watch" means a tornado could happen and a "warning" means you should take immediate cover
- Keep surplus blankets in a shelter area
To prepare for a hurricane: