With low coverage limits and a good driving record, even a brand-new, full-size ATV can generally be inexpensive to insure. However, like most insurance, the cost to insure an all-terrain vehicle varies widely because there are so many factors to consider. If you're wondering how much ATV insurance costs, check out the factors below for some insight into how rates are calculated.
Factors that go into ATV insurance cost
- Vehicle type (utility, sport or 4x4). Utility vehicles are the least expensive to insure, because they are primarily used for work. 4x4 vehicles cost the most to insure because they can go pretty much go anywhere.1
- Year, make, model and engine size. As you’d expect, the cost of ATV insurance for a used vehicle with a small engine will generally cost less than a new vehicle with a large engine.
- Coverage options. At the very least, you’ll need liability coverage for your ATV, which is required in most states when it is licensed for on-road usage. In addition to liability coverage, you’ll probably want to consider other ATV coverages, such as collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, uninsured or underinsured ATV coverage and an OEM endorsement. ATV insurance cost is also influenced by the coverage limits and deductibles you choose.
- Ages of riders. Some insurance companies have minimum age requirements, and most will charge a higher rate for younger riders.
- Driving history. Have you had any accidents, violations or claims in the past 5 years? A good driving record will usually lower ATV insurance cost.
- Security and safety features and programs. A discount may be available if your ATV has a professionally-installed radio or GPS theft-recovery system, or a factory-installed anti-lock braking system (ABS). An ATV insurance discount may also be available if you take an ATV safety course.
ATV insurance discounts
If you're looking to lower the cost of ATV insurance, Nationwide offers a number of ATV insurance discounts on top of already affordable rates, such as a multi-vehicle discount, a multi-policy discount and an ATV safety course discount.
Getting an ATV insurance quote
The best way to figure out how much ATV insurance will cost is to get a quote.
For a free ATV insurance quote from Nationwide, call 1-877-669-6877 or visit the ATV insurance section of our website and enter your zip code to begin the process.